Green IT 2.0 - Computers Saving Natural Resources
When it comes to green buildings or facilities, computers can play a role in reducing energy consumption. Computer controls for HVAC and other facility energy consumption systems can be monitored and managed for better efficiency.If the buildings' HVAC systems are not up to date, investment needs to be made to utilize centralized building environment control software, but it still pays to monitor.
Technology can also be used in various ways to reduce printing supplies and cost, employee travel and student travel. Course management systems such as Blackboard or Moodle, whether used for remote online learning or not, can save printing and supplies with electronic handling of assignments and course material. Videoconferencing and and centralized computer and security management systems can save travel time and gas. Streaming video, internet tours or live videoconferencing capabilities can supplement or replace field trips.
The use of digital text books, while not specifically saving the school paper, does reduce publishers' paper and ink consumption, as well as reducing strain on students' backs.What have you done with computers to reduce your carbon footprint?
Share your story.
Tips for Getting Started
- Select printers or multifunction products that offer two-sided printing to reduce paper and energy usage.
- Investigate videoconferencing as alternatives to district travel expense and time.
- Consider converting parent and staff paper forms, notices and communication to electronic website and email technologies.
- Consider centralized networked computer management software and practices to reduce support personnel travel.
- Virtual field trips allow students to "go" anywhere without using buses.
- Put student registration online - save travel