TLE Seal Program
The CoSN Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal program is the nation’s only privacy framework designed specifically for school systems. The TLE program helps K12 schools and districts build strong, effective privacy programs, and a culture of trust and transparency. Earning the TLE Seal is a mark of distinction, signaling that the recipient has taken strong, measurable steps to help protect the privacy of student data.
The TLE Seal Program was developed by CoSN in collaboration with a diverse group of 28 school system leaders nationwide and with support from AASA, The School Superintendents Association, the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) and ASCD.
The TLE Seal Program requirements have been validated by more than 50 school systems.
The TLE Seal Program requires school systems to have implemented high standards for student data privacy protections around five core practice areas: Leadership, Business, Data Security, Professional Development, and Classroom.
School systems that meet the Program requirements will earn the TLE Seal, signifying their commitment to student data privacy to their community. TLE Seal recipients commit to continuous examination and advancement of their privacy practices.
Preview the CoSN TLE Seal Application
Apply for the CoSN TLE Seal for Districts
Apply for the CoSN TLE Seal for SEAs, ESAs and COEs.
Webinar Recording: Leadership Strategies to Assure Student Data Privacy: The Trusted Learning Environment Seal
- Benchmark Privacy Practices In Your State
- Before You Apply for the TLE Seal
- TLE Seal Examples of Evidence
- TLE Seal Program Handbook
- Building a Trusted Learning Environment: Understanding the Leadership Practice
- Building a Trusted Learning Environment: Understanding the Data Security Practice
- Building a Trusted Learning Environment: Understanding the Business Practice
- Trusted Learning Environment Understanding the Professional Development Practice
- Building a TLE Cohort in Your State
- Join the CoSN TLE Cohort
CoSN TLE & Framework of Essential Skills Crosswalk
As the leader in providing critical guidance to meet the needs of K12 education technology professionals, CoSN provides two core frameworks—one for individuals and one for education institutions—to demonstrate leadership and student data privacy skills, knowledge, and competencies.
Meet the TLE Seal Recipients
Learn more about the TLE Seal Recipients who have made the commitment to protect the privacy and security of student data.
- Baltimore County Public Schools (MD)
- Boulder Valley Public Schools (CO)
- Bozeman Public Schools (MT)
- Community High School District 99 (IL)
- Corpus Christi Independent School District (TX)
- Cypress-Fairbanks ISD (TX)
- Dedham Public Schools (MA)
- Denver Public Schools (CO)
- Fulton County Schools (GA)
- Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District (TX)
- Highland Local Schools (OH)
- Leander Independent School District (TX)
- Lewisville Independent School District (TX)
- Loudoun County Public Schools (VA)
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools (FL)
- Noblesville Schools (IN)
- Park Hill Schools District (MO)
- Raytown Quality Schools (MO)
- Rockingham County Public Schools (VA)
- Rocky River City School District (OH)
- Round Rock ISD (TX)
- Satsuma City Schools (AL)
- Zionsville Community Schools (IN)
Improving Your Data Privacy Program
Protecting student data privacy is a critical and complex responsibility for all education institutions and agencies. CoSN's TLE Seal Program is designed to ensure that school systems:
Measure and Improve your Organization
As an applicant, you’ll be required to provide evidence of how you meet each of the Program requirements. Whether you earn the TLE Seal on the first try or not, you’ll receive feedback explaining how you scored on each practice requirement and why.
The act of working through the CoSN TLE Seal Program application becomes an exercise in cross-functional collaboration, strengthening ties, and emphasizing leadership commitment to the work throughout the organization.
Build Trust and Transparency
CoSN TLE Seal recipients can demonstrate to parents and other community stakeholders that they have taken strong, measurable, and tangible steps to protect student data privacy. Change the conversation in your community from fear and privacy concerns to one based on transparency and trust in your efforts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is the TLE Seal Important?
Student data are key to personalizing learning and outcomes today. School systems, however, have an inherent responsibility to protect the privacy of student data.
What is the TLE Seal Framework?
The seal signifies that the school system has implemented strong, measurable and publicly available practices to help ensure the privacy of student data.
Who is Eligible for the TLE Seal?
The TLE Seal is open to K-12 school systems of all governance structures, including public school districts, private schools, parochial schools and charter schools.
"Round Rock ISD has made clear its dedication to implementing strong, tangible student data privacy protections across the district, and to continuously improving its student data privacy practices...Your efforts around the Trusted Learning Environment Seal program privacy framework serve as a great example for all districts in Texas."